Post-run recovery dinner & drink: Spiralized Zucchini & Cucumber with Raw Pumpkin Seed Pesto topped with fresh mint and basil, Vega Recovery Performance Protein Chilled Chocolate Shake
When I workout or run in the evening, the last thing I want to do is negate all my efforts by eating something that’s loaded in complex carbs and fats that I just don’t need sitting heavy in me right before bed. But I want to get the nutrients I need to revitalize me after a good sweat session. That is why I am head over heels with my new Spiralizer, raw pesto packed with fresh kale, basil, mint, and nutrient & protein packed Spirulina and Nutritional Yeast. With the warmer weather here, I’m craving light, crisp, fresh food. All I need is 1 zucchini and 1 cucumber and my homemade pesto, and I’ve got a delicious dinner at my fingertips, no cooking required.
I understand that raw pasta may not be for everyone, especially if you expect spiralized zucchini to taste exactly like spaghetti. Thinking of this dish as a light and summery way to satisfy a pasta craving may help the raw pasta love flow. I like topping it off with fresh basil and mint leaves and if I have them on hand, raw pumpkin seeds sprinked on top to compliment the pesto.
Pesto Pasta with Spiralized Zucchini and Cucumber
Makes 1 serving
- 1/2-3/4 cup of vegan pumpkin seed pesto (recipe in my previous post, here)
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized into thin noodles
- 1 medium cucumber, spiralized into thin noodles
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1. Make one batch of vegan pesto.
2. Spiralize cucumber first - drain the excess water from the cucumber out of the spiralizer. Instead of tossing it, I pour it into a shot glass and sip it. Mmmm refreshing!
3. Spiralize zucchini.
4. Toss in the pesto. Top with fresh mint and basil leaves, and sprinkle raw pumpkin seeds on top for an added crunch.